Saturday, February 19, 2011

Plotting and Planning

I started teaching To Kill a Mockingbird this week, which means Spring is right around the corner!  I always feel like I can breathe a sigh of relief when I come to this unit.  I'm comfortable with it, so the planning is a breeze, and I <3 THIS BOOK.  If you count the fact that I read aloud a good portion of it to my students, on repeat 5 times a day, I've read this book at least 20 times, and it never gets old.  I love that we live in Maycomb County for five weeks, in the childhood world of Scout Finch.  Love. Love. Love.

So, since Spring is coming and since it's been in the upper 50s to upper 60s most of this week and the trend looks to continue, and since we had The Year of No Summer last year (in going to Australia and it being wintertime there) I am seriously craving some warm weather and looking forward to Spring!  The long march to Spring Break has begun; it's so late this year!  But that hasn't stopped me from plotting and planning some projects for that upcoming week.

Here are some goals I've made for Spring Break, which is still so far away...
1. Sleep in! Obviously.
2. Read an entire book.
3. Make drop-cloth curtains for our living room and dining room area.
4. Start some vegetables in containers.
5. Freshen up the backyard.

I'm trying to keep the projects small and doable in a day or so; I only have one week and I want to relax as well!  I'm pushing the other projects formulating in my brain to summer vacation.

We talked to the Australians last night (my sister-law and her family) and they are coming for the first half of the summer!  I have been promised some help with the container gardens.  They are so good at growing things at their house on Kangaroo Island that I am jealous.  I checked out some books from the library to enlist some advice.  I'll let you know how it goes!

For now, we have a busy weekend planned: Grading papers this afternoon - I think I will head to the coffee shop so it feels less like work, Valentine's banquet at church tonight, and a bridal shower for my sweet cousin tomorrow afternoon!  I <3 the weekends but they always go so quickly...

Here's looking forward to Spring!

No comments: