Wednesday, December 21, 2011

And Stop.

The LORD replied, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”
Exodus 33:14

What a week this has been.  It has been a week where the To Do List was longer than the hours in the days allowed.  We have our first of three home study visits tomorrow.  Tomorrow.  That would be three days before Christmas if anyone is counting.  As if the Christmas To Dos weren't enough, add to that the panic of someone coming to your home with the sole intent of judging you on it.  I mean, aren't we always secretly afraid that guests are doing that anyway?  Hello, stress.  Hello, fighting back the good enoughs and big enoughs and clean enoughs.  I have cleaned and organized, taken bags to the Goodwill, rearranged, cleaned some more, stored some things in my parents basement, and, oh, cleaned and organized a few more times.  

But somehow God has made a way.

He provided just enough hours in the day. 

He blessed me with an encouraging husband who reminded me each day that the love in our home in what they are actually judging us on.  And we have plenty of that. 

He gracefully and quietly led me to this post.  Oh, how I have clung to those words today.

He brought forth kinds words from friends who gently let me know they were praying.

He provided a break in the midst of the chaos for Christmas shopping and quality long-lost time with good, good college friends in town for the holidays.  Just what I needed.

He answered my prayer of desperation to help me get up on time this morning by causing the button on my alarm clock to get stuck.  Literally.  I'm not joking!  My Father has a great sense of humor.

And in the craze of cleaning and organizing like there is no tomorrow, He gently reminded me of the purpose behind it all when I answered the phone tonight to hear, "Hi, Mama.  I'm bored.  I miss you."


So now, with a clean house, tired feet, and a happy heart, I am satisfied to stop, rest, and trust in Him.  Though the To Dos have pushed out time that I would have loved to have spent in quiet stillness reflecting on this season, God has chosen to teach me in another way over the last few weeks by quietly and compassionately meeting every need.  Just when I think I can't do any more or give any more or go any more, He has provided just what I needed.  Isn't that just what this season is about?  Remembering that “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” And that "at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly."  Christ humbly came in weakness as a baby to ultimately make our weakness perfect in his strength.  What powerful truth for ears that so desperately needed to hear it and a heart that so desperately needed to learn it. 

Here's to Christmas Weekend of finally stopping, finally resting, and learning to trust in the Lord's perfect ways. 


No comments: