Thursday, December 30, 2010

Christmas Candy? Yes, Please.

 I think I will be posting about Christmas from now until Easter.  I'm finally recovering from the busy-ness of the holidays, including my mom's hip replacement surgery on Christmas Eve Eve, Patrick's wonderful display of projectile vomiting as we returned home from all the hoopla on Christmas night, and my catching a glorious Christmas cold.  Other than that, we had a lovely Christmas.  No really, we did.  Despite all the craziness, we were able to rest, find moments of quiet and peace with family and friends, and enjoy the joyfulness of giving and receiving and just being together.

One of my favorite family traditions is the gathering of all the women a week or so prior to Christmas to make candy, cookies, and all sorts of goodies together.  Despite the snow, we got together on Saturday, December 17 at my mom's cousin's who's really like my aunt's house (got that?) in Christiansburg.  Everyone brings their own ingredients and we cook and bake and talk and laugh all afternoon.  There's usually a big pot of soup on for lunch and the coffee flows like water.  It's amazing.



 From the grannies down to the youngest.  We all love this day.
 This year I made mocha blossoms.  They were supposed to be peppermint mocha blossoms with peppermint hershey kisses in the middle but Kroger was all out of those.  I made it work with what they had. 


 And of course there was the passing around of our newest family member, Baby Charlotte ("Charlie").
 We think Mom may have faked her injury just to get the hold the baby the entire time.
(Just kidding, Mom.)

Do you see why this is my favorite day?  Babies, cookies, coffee, and my Granny all in one place?  I wanted to stay forever.

No comments: