Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Quiet Day in Room 207

My class is remarkably quiet today as the students finish up their final test for To Kill a Mockingbird. I cannot tell you enough how much I love this book, even more this year than I did last and I hope that each year I teach it my love for it grows. To me, it's like one of those movies where each time you watch it you find something you didn't see before. I'm still learning from it despite the fact that I have read it 5 times now (more than that if you include the fact that I re-read it 5 times a day with each of my classes!). The way Harper Lee weaves together this book is absolutely incredible and powerful. I think I could make a whole class just out of this novel.

Tomorrow we start the in-class essay and I'm pumped. Call me an English teacher, but nothing gets my blood flowin' like writing essays and discussing themes! (Sidenote here: the students are not showing as much enthusiasm as me? I cannot understand this.) Maybe we should rename Herndonland to Nerdville. Sorry.

No comments: