Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Lent Day 1: An Adventure in Pressure-Cooking

Today is the first day of our new commitments so, as I am not watching TV (!), I have a little spare time to blog.


My father-in-law has recently become a fan of the pressure-cooker. Since we, in some ways, share a kindred spirit for these types of things (which really makes my husband AND mother-in-law crack up laughing...often) he gave me a matching one for my birthday. I was really scared of the pressure-cooker at first. I've heard so many horrors stories of explosions, house fires, etc. (and of course it seems that every person who I tell about my pressure cooker can't help but warn me of the impending doom and danger...) so I have let it sit on my kitchen table, unopened, for about 2 weeks. Tonight, though, it made its debut. I must say, my life changed. Think: crock-pot on speed. I bought this fabulous cookbook to get me started. All the recipes are healthy and require very few ingredients.

I chose to make Chicken-Noodle Soup as my first attempt at pressure-cooking. It literally took 5 minutes to prepare! Brown chicken and veggies (fresh!), pour in some water and spices and let it go. Oh, and did I mention it only took 12 mintues to cook? Stir in some noodles and let them soften while you make grilled cheeses and voi la! Dinner is served.
It went from this:


and this:


to this:




I think this will definitely help me stick to my commitments of cooking at home during the week. We'll see.

And I have enough left to take to school for lunch for the next 2 days :)

No comments: